Check out Andrew Bacevich’s “The Tyranny of Defense, Inc” on the military-industrial complex from the most recent issue of The Atlantic.
Weird reading this after watching Starship Troopers last night. I wonder if the Pentagon is funding SETI to find an enemy we can really rally against.
- [Scotty volunteers to be a test subject for Spock's improvised tranquillizer grenade]
- Scotty: [picks up glass of bourbon] It's to kill the pain. [empties glass]
- Spock: But this is painless.
- Scotty: [gulps] Well, you should have warned me sooner, Mr. Spock. Fire away!
- [Spock activates the grenade, but Scotty shows no reaction to the escaping gas]
- McCoy: It should have worked! Did you inhale the gas, Scotty?
- Scotty: Aye! Deeply!
- McCoy: Do you still feel all right?
- Scotty: Never felt better!